Monday, August 9, 2010

Stoicism and Babyhood

So, I've been pretty much stuck at home these last 3 months, since the birth of my youngest son. It's really not him that keeps me at home; in fact, if I do go out, I take him with me, all Moby'd up, as we run errands. No, it's the thought of taking all three out to Target, or wherever, that prompts me to reconsider and then stay home. As they say, this too, shall pass, but it could have been a lot worse if not for people visiting. I can think of a few (oustide of my fam) who really made my days easier by bringing their kids over to swim; who knows what I would have done with my days otherwise.
Despite the diversions, though, my reaction to being stuck at home was to ponder the stoic, Epictetus, and how life is what you make of it. (This, of course, is what any normal person would do). In fact, this is the quote that came to mind:
          I must die, but must I die groaning? I must be imprisoned, but must I whine as well? I must suffer   
          exile, but can any prevent me from going with a good grace and at peace? This is in my power.
           "But I will chain you." What say you fellow? Chain me? My leg you can chain, yes, but my will,
           no, not even Zeus can conquer that. "I will imprison you." My bit of a body, you mean.
Okay, so it's a bit melodramatic. But, the fact is, I am somewhat immobilized, due to circumstances, and yet, in the tradition of the Stoics, my perspective (or "will", as Epictetus says) is what I can work with. I can make this a bad situation, or a good one, and so I chose to make it a good one by seeing it as an opportunity to throw a series of what I thought were great pool parties! And, on the other hand, it also lets me spend quality time with my kids, while they're still home all day. Because, sadly, this too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment