Saturday, August 7, 2010

Housekeeping and the Myth of Sisyphus

We're leaving for the beach on Tues. and I am determined to have the entire house cleaned for our departure. This makes no sense: I want it cleaner for when we are gone than for when we are there. But, in my defense, I'd be fighting my genetic code to do otherwise (or at least a strong case of nurture). My mom would literally be dragging the wet mop to the door as we locked up the house for our annual trip to the Jersey shore.
So, as is the case with housework, weak management skills, and three small children, I am cleaning one room while they mess up another. Right now they are all sleeping and I have a load of laundry and the dishwasher going, so I feel like something is being accomplished while I write. But, when they wake up, it will start all over: they'll need a snack (more dishes and more crumbs); my three old princess will need her 4th outfit of the day (more laundry); my 2-year old son will want to play (more toys dumped); they'll want to swim (more laundry and dirty, wet feet on the floors); and the baby will want to nurse (more hand-tying and watching the mayhem).
Sisyphus pushed a rock up a hill only to watch it come back down so that he could begin his (boring!) task all over again. He had nothing over the housewife! And, it has been said that (like the housewife), he found this tedious, absurd task somehow rewarding. Such is life (says Camus).

No comments:

Post a Comment